Craft Welder Apprenticeship 2024 - Job Ref: SP05292
- £18,432.00 Increasing to £20,309 in year 2, £23,722 in year 3 & £25,264 in year 4. Higher rates are applied to those aged 21 and over.
- Apprenticeship - Advanced apprenticeship: level 3
- Sellafield Ltd.
A Welder Apprentice trains to become a highly skilled craftsperson in the nuclear industry. This is a four-year scheme where the first year will be spent learning a range of hands-on engineering skills. Years 2 to 4 of your training will be spent at in the central workshops at Sellafield where you will work with skilled Welders.
What you will do in your working day
You will be trained to:
- Produce production welds using different welding methods such as MIG, TIG and MMA.
- Working in a challenging and rewarding industry in support of construction within the workshop / construction site.
- Supporting fabricators in the production of platforms, stairways and supporting structures as well as pipe fitters, producing pipework for the transfer of fluids.
As an integral part of your apprenticeship your progress will be monitored and assessed against the Apprenticeship requirements. You will compile an evidence folder, demonstrating your areas of learning with accredited certificates of completion for elements of your training. You will undertake knowledge, skills and behaviour assessments where you will be expected to clearly demonstrate your capability to perform as a Welder Apprentice.
The training you will be getting
This is a four-year scheme where the first year will be spent learning a range of hands-on engineering skills.
1st Year – training is delivered at our of-site training facility.
2nd, 3rd & 4th Years – Site placements in central workshops at Sellafield.
You will obtain the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Apprenticeship ST0852 Plate Welder
- Level 2 Diploma in Engineering Operations EAL
- Award for Nuclear Industry Awareness (ANIA) Level 2 Qualification
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- Following successful completion of your apprenticeship, we will look to retain you in a professional full time position at Sellafield Ltd
Desired skills and personal qualities
Attention to detail, Problem solving skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative
- GCSE or equivalent English Language (Grade 4) Essential
- GCSE or equivalent Mathematics (Grade 4) Essential
- GCSE or equivalent Science or Engineering (Grade 4) Essential
Job Ref: SP05292