Harper Adams University is ready to welcome the second cohort of apprentices for September 2019.
Last year, degree and postgraduate apprentices joined Harper Adams University from food processing, manufacturing and surveying companies across the breadth of England, from Carlisle to Cullompton.
From both large and small employers, aged between 18 and 41, the cohort is a combination of A-level students in their first role and existing staff, all ready to start a degree (level 6) or postgraduate (level 7) programme to progress into a long-term profession or career.
Harper Adams University has a strong relationship with many UK employers involved in apprenticeships at all levels, including local employers Avara Foods and ABP Beef. Enquiries are increasing by the day as new employers (and young people) learn more about new standards, opportunities and funding. Employment vacancies can be found via employers’ websites and the government’s own site, where Harper Adams University can publish vacancies.
Employers are able to draw funds for apprenticeships from the government in two ways, whether they are large or small. As providers, Harper Adams University is tasked with managing the relationship with employers, apprentices and the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) to make sure each programme is delivered as a high-quality learning experience and a ‘value for money’ apprenticeship delivering 20% off-the-job training.
The university anticipates a greater number of apprentices in the following subjects in 2019:
- Rural chartered surveyor: BSc honours in rural enterprise and land management (L6)
- Food industry technical professional: BSc honours in food science and technology (L6)
- Food and drink advanced engineer: BEng honours in food engineering (L6)
- Postgraduate engineer: Postgraduate diploma in engineering business management (L7)
New apprenticeships in development for 2019/20 are:
- Geospatial mapping and science degree apprenticeship: BSc honours in utilities and digital surveying (subject to validation approval)
- Senior leader master’s apprenticeship: MSc in food industry management contextualised for leaders in the food industry (subject to validation approval)